Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default lacie external usb hard drive, power connector pinout?

On Jan 12, 3:37*am, wrote:
Thank you tons for this post. I was able to revive our porsche design lacie hard drive by this post, and move all of its contents onto a usb eternal hard drive of todays standards.

Pins 3&4 are ground, Pin 1=12V, and Pin 2=5V. I doubly verified by continuity testing each pin to the red, yellow and black wires that power the drive. The standard is maintained where Black is Ground, Red is 5V and Yellow is 12V.

It may also prove useful to others that this is the correct pinout for the
LaCie Mini Hard Drive (FW 400 only)
4-Minipin
708014

Glad you got a result. As a bizarre coincidence, I picked this up
again only last week during a clearout after about 2 years! (I got
distracted by other more pressing things, and the drive had got
buried in my workshop).

I ended up putting the drive itself into another usb caddy I have to
test it, but it turned out to be defective, so I junked the lot. Looks
like we have 'closure', as the psycho- babblers would say ....!
-B