Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Finding/Locating sewer line under basement floor

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

You could buy about 50 pounds of radioactive waste from Japan (on
ebay) and put that in the drain. Use a geiger counter to follow the
signal. That's creative, fun, and memorable.

Toner tracer set like the phone guys use. On sale, at HF.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cable-tracker-94181.html

Have your mother in law yell into the toilet, and pretend to trace the
line. Keep saying "A little louder, dear"

DAGS: http://tinyurl.com/83atd7u

I'll think on this for a while, and some other zany ideas will come to
mind.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Ron" wrote in message
... I own a property that has a cast
iron sewer line that runs under the basement floor, and I want to be
able to mark out and locate where it runs under the basement floor. I
know that I could hire a company to come out and do that, but I am
wondering if there are any fairly cheap, creative, and interesting/fun
ways for me to try to locate the line myself.

For example, is there some kind of small signal generator that I could
attach to a sewer line snake and detect the signal from above with
some type of detector? -- maybe something that Radio Shack or some
electronics store might sell?

Or, are there relatively inexpensive underground pipe-locating devices
that I could rent somewhere and do the job?

Would a metal detector be able to detect a cast iron pipe under a
concrete floor (assuming that the pipe is not down very far below the
floor?

How about flush a fish down the toilet and use a fish finder?