Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Gibson Les Paul

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Output from guitar noticeably dropped in level , owner had a spare one to
complete the set. When I received it , setting both vol pots to minimum
then
ohmage across output was 30 ohm. Now I'm inside, it is 3 to 5 ohms
according
to switch setting. Pickup ohmages measure 7.82,3.80, 7.39K at the 3 switch
settings, which seems right, and consistent with wire tugs.
Now the bottom ohmage of the pots was not going to be 60 and 60 ohm or so
give 30, one poor pot perhaps. I will remove the output screened lead
although nothing seems wrong with it, but the output socket was loose and
turning to an extentm requiting the screened lead to resist the turning.
Just leaves wear /plating problem at the tip contact of the switchcraft
1/4
in socket but it looks perfectly normal, contact point axial to jack until
deflected to the tip groove , etc. Pots measure consistent across tracks.
Switch seems ok but how to test other than by replacement

Check the output socket signal connection and all pot solder connectors are
not touching their pot bodies or any conductive screening paint, if there is
any, or any stray strands of screening braid.
Check the tone control pot caps are not being shorted to themselves or pot
body as things move and turn.

Not sure why you are particularly interested in the values of the pots at
zero, it is their values at max that you need to be looking at.

Or it could have been a problem with the jack lead or amp and not the guitar
at all.

Gareth.