Posted to sci.electronics.repair
The_Fatman The_Fatman is offline

Default Panasonic Inverter Microwave NN-SD-997S ...........

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 09:29:44 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

"The_Fatman" wrote in message
Hello,

Have a Panasonic Inverter microwave model number NN-SD997S. This unit
is just over 36 months old and has been used heavily without issue.
This evening just after the start button was pressed, the internal
light flashed blue and did not light, along with no turntable operation
or cooling fan operation. It looks like the magnetron ran for about 2
minutes w/o me really knowing because the meal was hot afterwards.
There was a bit of a 'hot steel' smell afterwards.......so fanless
magnetron cannot be too good either. Assuming i didn't damage it
further with the fanless operation.....what could be the issue with
this unit and is it fixable. This is/was a topline unit but bought at
half price, roughly 225.00$. If it's an internal fuse, there must be
major issues for it to trip? Wall outlet is ok, checked with Fluke.

Thx for any info.

Rgds.

Maybe the "blue flash" from the internal light, was the bulb failing,
and it took out an internal fuse that feeds the lamp, fan and turntable
supplies. Ordinary lightbulbs often fail with a spectacular lightning
storm inside these days, and take the household lighting circuit trip
with them. A bit naughty if the Pan doesn't have secondary protection
fed from this supply, to ensure that the mag can't run with no cooling,
or the food rotated in the waves though. I'm sure that someone on here
will be familiar with the model, and know the answer ...

Arfa

Thx for the reply, i opened up the chassis and there is a fuse on a small
circuit board at the upper rear right hand side of unit next to AC input.
This fuse didn't appear to be blown. (measured 0.5 ohm) I don't see any
obvious shorts or anything anywhere else around innards.....i've tried to
inspect the input leads to what appear to be 'door latch micro switches'
but they seem ok to me.

I was expecting the fuse to be open....this explains why magnetron and
front panel are still live?

The local Panasonic repair center wants about $70 to look at it +extras
if repair more than $70.

The unit this replaced ran for at least 15 years (Panasonic also, but a
'Genius'...perhaps 'Ingenius' would have been a better name, since it ran
for 5 times as long at half the price, w/o so much as a burnt out bulb
even and withstood being dropped, twice.)