Posted to sci.electronics.repair
spamtrap1888 spamtrap1888 is offline

Default Interesting little HK fault today ...

On Jan 6, 1:23*am, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"Nutcase Kook "

I've always expected to see problems with polyswitch "fuses", considering
the temp they run at,

** FFS * - * you *steaming *great * ****WIT * !!!!!!!!!

*Have you got no ****ing idea what a "thermistor" is ???

*FYI *- *you asinine, *trolling POS *!!!

Polyswitches are PTCs and thermistors are NTCs *!!!!!!!!!!!!

One quibble: While their resistance did increase drastically when they
heated up, the polyswitches I worked with years ago seemed to just
have two states: a low resistance one while carrying lower currents,
and a high resistance one when excessive current passed through. Not a
traditional linear or logarithmic (etc.) relationship. The reason was
that heat made the polymer matrix flex, which tended to separate the
conductive particles embedded in the matrix. As the matrix cooled it
shrank once more, bringing the conductive particles into more intimate
contact, and so on.

We eventually decided not to use them for loudspeaker protection,
because they cycled so rapidly that we decided consumers would
complain. Even though these were the same consumers who didn't notice
that their speaker's voice coil former was bottoming out against the
motor structure.