Posted to sci.electronics.repair
myfathersson myfathersson is offline

Default Another stupid question

On Jan 5, 7:00*am, b wrote:
On Dec 11 2011, 2:47*pm, klem kedidelhopper

wrote:
I used to run my cable and antenna through my VCR and record my
programs and then watch them on my old TV. Well now since the recent
digital transition I can no longer do that, so I was wondering if
anyone knows if it's possible or has ever managed to get a composite
video signal out of a flat screen TV? It seems as though I recall that
this was available on some of the older tube sets but I've never seen
it on a flat screen. Obviously I really don't give a damn about HD. I
would just like to record my programs on my VCR. I realize that
building ground, and live chassis issues would have to be dealt with
but aside from that can it be done? I just fixed up a Visio VP322 that
a customer left here and I plan on using this set in our living room.

I still record on videotape (a proven medium after all) - picture
quality can be perfectly satisfactory for recording off tv. I don't
want everything on a hard drive that is likely to fail and I lose
everything. I've seen so many portable HDDs fail it's not even funny,
so I'd avoid that route if you want to capture important things.

You will need any cheap set top digital box, just plug the antenna
into it and use the box's AV out to connect to the line in of the
video (often called A1, A2, EXT, E1, E2, etc). Then connect the video
to the telly in the normal way. Your antenna might need upgrading as
the digital signal is far more demanding than good ol' analogue. see
here for some info:http://www.aerialsandtv.com/digitaltv.html#digitalmyths

And if your vcr has a choice of speeds, always try to use SP (unless,
say, you want a few films on the one cassette). The other speeds tend
to be incompatible when exchanging tapes between decks and any
misalignment of the tape path or dropouts in the tape are magnified.
With used VHS tapes freeely available, it makes no sense to skimp by
using some stupid low speed .
HTH.
- B

You may be right but I started this thread because I have a smallish
apartment and cant stand all those huge cassettes cluttering up the
place. We have piles and piles of them and the whole apartment is
overrun with VHS tapes either in layers or separately but all looking
the same! Especially the kids ones which are PAL and which the kids
seem to prefer watching on an Archos 5, especially in a car. not only
that, but if you want to skip to a bit of the tape where your primary
film is or some 30 minute TV show is, it takes an age to do this. Not
to mention find the right tape to do it!!

(Back in the good old days when VCRs were sophisticated, you used to
be able to mark a bit of the tape and go straight to it in a mere five
minutes).

In the 21st Century it seems to be impossible to get a child to put a
tape in a VCR and wind to the relevant bit rather than open a screen
and see a few dozen films on it and touch-flo to the one they want.

This was why I was musing why no one except the cable companies had
brought out lines of sophisticated HDD VCRs