Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default 3-in-1 oil in an electric motor

On 1/4/2012 12:54 PM, wrote:

As a farmer, I am constantly oiling and greasing stuff. Lots of larger
motors on farm machinery need to be oiled. "Sealed bearings" is just
another way to say "disposible motor". When the bearings seize up,
you toss the motor, spend a couple hundred bucks for a new one and
more if you need an installerm V/S spending 5 minutes and 5 cents
worth of oil every year. I have machinery motors that date back to
the 1950's and 60's that still work fine, but I need to oil then
yearly. ...

We farm here as well, but while there are quite a few things that still
do require greasing (although nothing like was in the past), virtually
the only oiling regularly is feed chains and the like. I haven't done a
motor in probably 20 years, either; they're sealed and have some that
are from the age of yours that haven't failed yet, either.

Anything over 5 hp is rebuilt, not thrown away if it is just bearings or
other simple problems. The elevator leg motors are 20+ hp; irrigation
pumps like 250.

Oh, one regular oiling--the generator on the old '58 C60 that use as
seed tender during wheat drilling time...