Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Jim Lesurf Jim Lesurf is offline

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

In article , Jerry
wrote:

"David Looser" wrote in message
: "Jerry" wrote
:
: : Just ask any toddler who has tried to poke a screwdriver
into
: an outlet.
:
: A toddler in the UK "Yeah! This game of sticking things in to these
: plastic shapes in the wall is fun, lets do it again!"
:
: A toddler in the USA (120v) "That tingles, not sure that I
like
: that..."
:
: A toddler in the EU (240v) *flash, bang, wallop* "That hurt daddy,
: why is my finger throbbing, why has the TV (or what
ever
: else is on the circuit) stopped working?"
:
: UK mains sockets have shutters, have you not noticed?

Duh, never! In any case, what happens when this shutter fails, as can
happen,

Almost anything "can" happen. But in reality how often does it? I can't
recall ever having the shutters on a UK standard mains socket fail open on
any I've used. What statistics do you have for how often they fail?

: Have you any data to suggest that deaths or injuries are any
worse here than
: in countries that don't use BS1363 outlets?

But then people know that, in the UK appliances could actually be
protected at 30A (with old slow-blow fuse wire) but the person using
the appliance believes that it is protected at the correct 3A.

How often is that the case? I've not come across anyone using fuse wire (of
any rating) to replace the fuse cart in a mains plug for decades. is that
what you are referring to? Again, what is the statistical evidence for this
being a significant problem?

Slainte,

Jim