Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@att.net is offline

Default Energizer 2013 AA Cell already leaking

On Jan 1, 10:53*am, " wrote:
Happened to try a seldom-used tv remote control last night, dead.
opened it up, one 2013 AA Energizer battery was fine, the other was
dead and leaking. *I stupidly thought that the date on batterries was
how long they were supposed to last if they were not used - shelf
life.

Since the battery was not used more than a few minutes since it was
put in the remote a couple of years ago, and had been in an air-
conditioned and heated room in the house for its entire time since I
brought it home from the store, I thought that it was safe to leave it
in the remote without having to periodically check for leakage.
Fortunately, the leakage was minor and because of the physical
position of the remote, the leakage went onto the inside of the back
cover and did not get into the electronics in the remote.

Just thought I would post it here as a reminder not to assume anything
about battery life.

I registered a complaint on the energizer web site, we'll see if they
respond or if I have to actually call them.