Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Jerry Jerry is offline

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

"David Looser" wrote in message
: "Jerry" wrote
:
: : Just ask any toddler who has tried to poke a screwdriver
into
: an outlet.
:
: A toddler in the UK "Yeah! This game of sticking things in to
: these plastic shapes in the wall is fun, lets do it again!"
:
: A toddler in the USA (120v) "That tingles, not sure that I
like
: that..."
:
: A toddler in the EU (240v) *flash, bang, wallop* "That hurt
: daddy, why is my finger throbbing, why has the TV (or what
ever
: else is on the circuit) stopped working?"
:
: UK mains sockets have shutters, have you not noticed?

Duh, never! In any case, what happens when this shutter fails, as
can happen, and thus that nice 'safe' electrical outlet becomes
(unknowingly) totally unprotected from such intrusion... Did you
actually bother to read what I said?

: :
: : What's your problem with it? And how many of your American
: plugs are
: : hanging out of the socket with exposed pins and
intermittent
: connections?
: :
:
: Indeed, the North America attitude to electrical hardware is
: farce
:
: Agreed.
:
: (only of the reasons why they are still plagued by high
: numbers of electrical fires), but then so is the UK's BS*
1363
: standard for plug/sockets, only in the UK -and those
countries
: that have copied the UK- is the final circuit protection so
: designed that it is easy (for the end user) to defeat it
either
: through ignorance or wilful tampering, thus a device
requiring
: protection at 3 or 5 amps co so easily end up being actually
: protected at 13 amps - or 30 amps in the case of wilful
: tampering...
:
: Have you any data to suggest that deaths or injuries are any
worse here than
: in countries that don't use BS1363 outlets? I was amazed to
find in a modern
: house in Italy that I stayed in this summer that all the
sockets
: (unshuttered and each rated at 10A with fuseless plugs) on each
floor were
: supplied from a single 25A MCB. How is that safer than the
situation here?
:

But then people know that, in the UK appliances could actually be
protected at 30A (with old slow-blow fuse wire) but the person
using the appliance believes that it is protected at the correct
3A. Again I suspect that you didn't actually read (and
understand) what I said...