Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Energizer 2013 AA Cell already leaking

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 18:44:04 +0000 (UTC), "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I had the not so bright idea of wrapping my batteries in cellophane
wrap when installed in devices that I care about (Geiger counters,
instruments, test equipment, emergency radios, GPS, etc). The problem
was that the batteries usually leak from the end terminal area, which
cannot be covered with cellophane wrap. Oops. My next attempt will
probably be to add a sponge at both ends of the battery (with a hole
in the center for the connection). The plan is to localize the
damage, not prevent it. Maybe seal the battery compartment.

Unless they are flashlights and you need to turn them on to see them,
then why not just wrap the batteries in ziplock bags? Or if you have a
vacuum sealing machine, one of their bags?

Good question with a complicated answer. The short version is that we
need at least 5 functional flashlights in the maintenance closet,
which is also crammed full of various emergency supplies. I've been
trying to get the cleaning supplies out of this closet for maybe 10
years, without success.

Leaving the batteries outside the flashlights is possible. However, I
suspect it would be difficult to find the batteries and flashlight in
the dark, without at least one functional flashlight. Last time we
had a drill, some people walked off with flashlights but no batteries.
They didn't realize that they didn't function until much later. There
are also some scanners, a WX radio, gas detectors, etc in the closet.
All have batteries that eventually leak. Every summer, I get to
remove everything, check for leakage (and theft), and provide the
necessary repairs. We rotate the batteries every 2 years, but I
haven't bothered to test the ones I remove.

When I was traveling, I had a suitcase packed and in it a kit with various
things I would want, such as an electric kettle, a small portable radio,
a flashlight (so that I was not stuck in the dark in a strange place
because I did not know where the light switch was) and so on.

I carry a key chain LED light, an LED mini Maglight, and a Ray-o-Vac
head light. Actually, I have several head lights, one attached to my
hard hat, and another at my workbench. The headlight is much more
useful since it points to where I'm looking, and leaves both hands
free to work. I also have a hand crank no-battery flashlight, but
that's to keep the kids occupied.

I was careful to choose devices that used the same batteries, and keep them
in a ziplock bag. In order to not have to go searching for them, I kept
the devices and the bag of batteries all in one larger ziplock bag.

Good idea, but not very practical for my setup. I just carry lots of
spare batteries. When we had the earthquake here in 1989, FEMA was
passing out tons of D cell batteries for flashlights, and nothing
else. You couldn't find a AA battery for about 2 weeks. Lesson
learned is to stock everything.

At one time I had a cellphone that used AA cells but that was a long time
ago. I don't think you can get one now.

Yeah, I had a Rotomola flip phone with a AA alkaline battery pack. It
worked, and was about right for the time. These days, everything is
3.7V Li-Ion. The trick is to carry a DC charger, and find a source of
12V to charge the battery. During a recent week long power outage in
this area, I had several spare batteries and was recharging them in
the car as I drove. I also have a hand crank charger, but again,
that's to keep the kids busy. I have a similar system for the laptop.
If I have time, I may even rewire the bicycle trainer into a generator
suitable for operating the TV or charging the laptop.

About six months ago I replaced the D cells in my backup AM/FM home radio
(a GE SRIII) with AA cells in adaptors. Last week I took them out. They
did not leak, but one of them was was swollen enough I had to push it out.

Ouch. They bulge first, then leak. Here's the chemistry:
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2002-01/1011285710.Eg.r.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D