Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Energizer 2013 AA Cell already leaking

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in
:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I had the not so bright idea of wrapping my batteries in cellophane
wrap when installed in devices that I care about (Geiger counters,
instruments, test equipment, emergency radios, GPS, etc). The
problem was that the batteries usually leak from the end terminal
area, which cannot be covered with cellophane wrap. Oops. My next
attempt will probably be to add a sponge at both ends of the battery
(with a hole in the center for the connection). The plan is to
localize the damage, not prevent it. Maybe seal the battery
compartment.

Unless they are flashlights and you need to turn them on to see them,
then why not just wrap the batteries in ziplock bags? Or if you have a
vacuum sealing machine, one of their bags?

When I was traveling, I had a suitcase packed and in it a kit with
various things I would want, such as an electric kettle, a small
portable radio, a flashlight (so that I was not stuck in the dark in a
strange place because I did not know where the light switch was) and
so on.

I was careful to choose devices that used the same batteries, and keep
them in a ziplock bag. In order to not have to go searching for them,
I kept the devices and the bag of batteries all in one larger ziplock
bag.

At one time I had a cellphone that used AA cells but that was a long
time ago. I don't think you can get one now.

About six months ago I replaced the D cells in my backup AM/FM home
radio (a GE SRIII) with AA cells in adaptors. Last week I took them
out. They did not leak, but one of them was was swollen enough I had
to push it out.

Geoff.

I wonder if a protective GREASE would keep the electrolyte from harming the
contacts,which seems to be what takes the most damage from leakage.
Maybe a thin coat of Vaseline or other grease would work.
it might even neutralize the electrolyte.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik