Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sheet metal nibbler vs. shears

-"Stanley Schaefer" wrote
-For a lot of things, the fastest way is to get out the angle grinder,
-equip it with a thin metal cutting blade and go to it freehand. I
-had a brand of wheel called "Razorblade", were like super Dremel
-cutoff wheels on steroids. Just about that thin, too, but stood up
-better. I bought what that weld shop had on hand, haven't found them
-anywhere else. I've got a "shoe" for the 4 1/2", looks like the base
-for a Skil saw and works the same way. Kind of a pain to put on, so
-not really worth messing with except for long cuts. It does keep the
-spark tail down. Fewer holes in shirt and pants.
-Stan

I use cheap cutoff wheels from the discount store, freehand without a guide
shoe. The cut tends to wander off the line because I keep my head as far
away to the side as possible. Sometimes the job is easier and neater if I
grind a shallow groove the length of the cut first and then follow it with a
severing cut.

jsw