Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeff Urban Jeff Urban is offline

Default OTA tuner sensitivity

"which is usually calculated from the BER (bit error rate) of
the decoded DTV signal."

Sweet. They are guaging the quality of the signal, for their
particular product, chipset, whatever. This gets me wondering, for
one, what if you ar einstalling an antenna without a rotor ? I happen
to know a few places in this city where the reflections are so bad
that you NEED cable. Just the lay of the land and a bunch of
buildings. It didn't work with analog, even though there is plenty of
signal strength. This is extremely bad folks, but I don't live there.
At my house analog was quite good. I did get some DX out of the attic
but because I needed multiple outlets, the amp just didn't do the out
of town stations justice. It's really not worth big bucks, basic
stripped cable is cheap enough.

But signal quality is a whole nother thing here. More processing power
could mean being able to decode a signal that would be unusable to a
lesser reciever. So how do we test this ? First of all there must be
adequate signal strength. Then as far as I can figure feed a signal
into an amp and then a splitter to two different recievers and find
out which one corrects and/or recovers from the errors the best. Split
AFTER the amp, you can screw with the signal level before the amp to
put the recievers through their paces.

There was already contrived a ghost eliminator for NTSC, though I have
never seen one I have read the specs on it and how it works, vertical
interval stuff again..... I thought they should be able to do it off
the old usual VITS but.......

So of course this device uses multiple time delays and nulls out
components based upon what was detected in the reference, yada yada
yada. This is all digital of course, well now WE ARE TALKING DIGITAL
so that should already be built I would think. The ability to correct
for multipath. Sorta lika a WAAY adaptable COMB filter.

So it is probably in that area in these recievers that determines the
optimum performance. Also some people need different parameters than
others. In this case, deep fringe, well it may be easier to deal with
if you get enough aerial, altitude and amplification, the three As.
But in an urban environment, more processing power would help more
than a kickass front end.

I think I could easily devise a setup to test these things, but I
wonder if it's worth it. Who would pay me ? Concievably some magazine
or something, one of the ones that review video equipment. OK that
makes sense except for one thing. People who read magazines to figure
out which TV to buy are not using convertor boxes. They got HD sets on
dishes or cable or internet TV or something. The only antenna in their
house may be on the router.