Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Pinhole in 2" Steam pipe

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 04:51:22 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

How are these pinhole leaks usually repaired? I heard of JBweld, but
you need to wait a while until it sets, plus its rated to only 200-250
degrees. The stuff I used is rated to 300 degrees.

They can be welded if it is newish pipe, but not old corroded stuff. .
Using epoxy is, at best, a temporary fix. How old is the setup? If
it is a year or two, probably not a big deal, but if it is a 15 year
old pipe, there is probably little left to fix.

Steam condensate is high in carbonic acid and will cause pipe to
corrode quicker than plain water. You may want to have a test done to
see if chemical treatment is needed.

Be prepared to replace the pipe and possible another section or two.