Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default A little fun to lighten these dark times ...

Arfa Daily wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me what comes through the workshop door. This
week's bizarre item - taken in for me to look at by a music shop !! - was a
strange sort of 'Dalek' thingy on four castors. About three and a half feet
tall, with a large control panel on top, and lots of intimidating
attachments sprouting from a bunch of connectors at the back. Turned out to
be a home 'Ultrasonic Liposuction Machine' ...

It's unbelievable what people will shell out their hard-earned on. Anyways,
this thing comes from China, and it had lasted for all of 5 minutes before a
burning smell, and cessation of all functionality. The proud owners had got
back onto the company who made it, who helpfully suggested that they return
it for repair / replacement. Shipping ? 160 quid ! So they decided to ignore
the warranty and let me have a look. In the meantime, the manufacturers sent
the guy a replacement main board. Anyways, long story short, there was a
bloody great transistor in the middle of the board that was short. I'm not
sure if it is for the 500kHz RF output, or the 40kHz Ultrasonic output, but
whichever, the fact of it being short, had ****ted the primary of the mains
transformer, before the now shorted turns, had blown the mains fuse. The
three secondary windings had no fusing of their own. The final decision was
to replace the three winding tranny, with three individual trannies sourced
in the UK, and to fit secondary fuses. This all done, with the replacement
board in, it worked again.

So what about the "fun" bit ? Well, I'm sure that we've all seen the
'translated direct from the Japanese' user manuals of thirty years ago, and
had a good laugh. Seems now that the art of producing funny manuals, has
passed to the Chinese. I've seen some pretty good ones over the last few
years, but I reckon that the one for this piece of equipment, has to be the
best yet.

Here's a couple of examples

* Ultrasonic Liposuction Equipment, through high energy deep-level
transport, takes 1100nm-1500nm high ultrasonic head to shoot out violent
energy, produces itch cavitation in cellulite cells, forms
* countless tiny vacuum oxygen bubbles, by means of the pressure to make FAT
cells membrane, act on the cellulite, breaks them, then exhaust out of the
body by lymphatic system.

and

* It takes the most advanced RF technique and energy, directly penetrate
into deep-seated cellulite. With targeted oriented RF output, it makes the
fatty cells in quick active state, produces heat friction,
* higher the partial temperature. Through the sweat gland, liver sausage
circulation and lymph, exhaust the redundant fatness and toxins out of the
body, so get the effect of cellulite dissolving.

Liver sausage? You 'Brits' will eat anything! ;-)

A guy on the Antique radio group collects quack medical devices, so
I'll send him the link. This would fit right in with his collection of
100 year old quackery.