Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Breaking epoxy glue spots before desoldering ICs

Say 100 plus SMD IC with 8 or so glue spots under
Anyone have a successful method of using that hole in the pcb, if present. I
force in 2 of the smallest jeweller's blades but I'm not convinced they do
much, hoping there is no tracery hidden under. Then 2 wire loops under the
IC with tension over them to assist pull off. Freezer spray while letting
the hot air gun heat up - for those like me without the "proper" facilities.
Anyone make a jig clamp[ed to the board to force a plunger into the hole ?
if so how much force expressed per pin or whatever to break or at least
strain the glue bond but without mechanically pushing off IC and traces with
it