Posted to uk.d-i-y
Toby Toby is offline

Default Grease gun operation - duh?

On 19/12/2011 10:24, Lobster wrote:
On 18/12/2011 20:49, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message ...

Being a bit thick here, but I have a grease gun similar to this:
http://tinyurl.com/bvjee69 (or
http://www.screwfix.com/product/jsp/... &docRoot=http

//s7g3.scene7.com/is/image/&viewerRoot=http://s7g3.scene7.co
/is-viewers-4.1/&company=ae235)
...which I've been trying to re-load. I use it very seldom, and think
I've only ever actually charged it with grease the once, when I bought
it; and ISTR did so using a can of the grease which you had to push
the base of the gun into, against a metal disc with a hole, 'floating'
on the grease?

This time I've bought a cartridge of the stuff, and I'm obviously
being a bit thick cos I can't figure out how to get the grease into
the gun! Either that, or something's maybe broken...?

The cartridge has a rip-off tab at one end (which I've duly ripped
off); and the other end has a removable cap. The grease gun has a
syringe-like plunger at the back, with a small toggle affair (like the
one at http://tinyurl.com/bvjee69) which doesn't appear to be doing
much. I've tried variously shoving the cartridge into the gun (won't
go) and pulling and pushing on the plunger all to no avail. How's it
supposed to work? Does the cartridge stay within the grease-gun, or is
the aim to eject the grease from it, into the gun?

pull the handle / rod fully out so that it is extended and held out
against the spring by the clip on the screw on cap. Remove the screw on
cap, insert the cartridge having removed it's seal. Screw back the cap,
then release the clip on the cap which allows the handle / rod to return
under spring pressure forcing the grease forwards. Use the gun, and as
it is used occasionally release the clip to allow the rod / handle to
continue it's journey.

Thanks. BLOODY thing... well at least I've moved forward a bit in that
I'd evidently been trying to unscrew the wrong end of the barrel; put
that right and I discovered an empty cartridge already inside. So moving
that helped

However I suspect it may be buggered anyway - having removed the end of
the gun with the plunger and inserted the new cart, I'm trying to
compress a massive coil spring down to almost nothing as I
unsuccessfully try to screw the plunger-end back on - does this sound
familiar? Anyway the garage and I are now covered in grease and I gave
up for now - it's so awkward to do I can't help thinking I'm doing it
wrong. BLOODY thing.

David

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBUykII4EvY

--