Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dimmers & LEDs

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 20:16:48 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

I have a 150W bulb in my study with a dimmer. THe bulb slightly browns the
ceiling.

1. Paint the ceiling white to reflect more of the IR heat.
2. Use a lower wattage light bulb.
3. Install a reflector
4. Purchase a proper light fixture.
5. Divide and conquer:
http://www.1000bulbs.com/search/?q=Satco+77-607

I am looking to putting in an LED but I keep seeing limitations
referring to "leading edge dimmers". What is this?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Trailing_edge_dimmer_how_does_it_work

I don't trust halogens in my cluttered study.

Don't inhale the halogen gases. Well, ok. Halogens runs very hot and
will probably burn your house down.

I switched to LED lighting around my desk area at home. Ecosmart
bright white A19 9 watts, 429 lumens at about $9/ea (cheap).
http://www.ledsmagazine.com/press/22332
The color is rather yellowish. It's difficult to see the yellow color
as the eye tend to correct for minor color aberrations. However, my
digital camera does not lie.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/EcoSmart 9 Watt LED.jpg
The fluted white base is an aluminum heat sink. It gets quite hot.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D