Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@att.net is offline

Default Dimmers & LEDs

On Dec 17, 2:16*pm, wrote:
I have a 150W bulb in my study with a dimmer. THe bulb slightly browns the
ceiling.

I am looking to putting in an LED but I keep seeing limitations
referring to "leading edge dimmers". What is this?

I don't trust halogens in my cluttered study.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - = -
*Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist
* * * * * * * * * *http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
* ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. *Everything fully disclaimed..}---
* *[Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards]
*[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Why not simply glue a piece of aluminum foil on the ceiling directly
over the lamp and that will protect the ceiling from excessive heat if
that is what you are worried about. Or, using a small piece of pipe
drop the light bulb down inside the fixture so it is a little further
from the ceiling.

You could also get a bezel and mount the fixture below that, the bezel
would protect the ceiling from the heat, and whenever you move, you
could remove the bezel and put the fixture back tight against the
ceiling. If you did not paint the ceiling in the meantime, nothing
would be visible that you had dropped down and then moved the fixture
back up. Dimmers are mostly cheap and look for a resistive load.
There are some dimmers made for cfls, you have to look hard to find
them and pay $$$ when you buy them.