Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Best primer to avoid raising the grain...

On 12/18/2011 10:06 AM, blueman wrote:
I am going to be painting a cabinet I bought with Benjamin Moore
interior semi-gloss latex paint. The cabinet is made of Baltic Birch
plywood and Poplar.

I want to avoid raising the grain on the cabinet when I apply
primer and having to sand everything again. Which of the following
priming techniquest are least likely to raise grain.

1. Zinnser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Water-base Primer
(advantage is easy-clean up but worried about water-based)

I have done a lot of oil based and water based painting. Oil based
painting clean up is MUCH easier than water based clean up. Mineral
spirits cleans instantly, I wish I could say that for soap and water.

2. Zinnser BIN Shellac-Base Primer
(will shellac-base be less likely to raise grain? But it's marketing
seems more targeted at stain-killing)

3. Standard latex-based primer (e.g., Benjamin Moore)

4. Shellac as a sealcoat +/- followed by primer (is primer necessary if
you have a shellac sealcoat?)

5. Oil-based primer? (Do they still exist? I have seen it for exterior
where it is recommended for Cedar but not for interior recently)

6. Suck it up and sand after priming? It's good for you...

Not a bad idea if you do go with water based. That sanding step to get
rid of the raised grain is very light and quick.

ALSO if you use a water based latex paint for a book case, buy the
absolute best quality you can get. Do not assume that a particular
brand will offer the best in all of its products. Typically average
water based paints tale a long tome to cure and will be sticky/stick to
anything that you might set on it. Oil alkyd based paints cure much
harder and quickly. I have a new home painted with water based Sherwin
William paint on the trim. 1 year later the surface is harder but
things still stick to it.

7. Other suggestion?