Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Engineer Engineer is offline

Default Saeco (and other) coffee machine thermostats

On Dec 15, 4:40*pm, " wrote:
On Dec 15, 1:21*pm, Engineer wrote:

Hi, all,
I keep one of our three espresso coffee machines up and running
(available that is, not actually brewing!) by cannibalizing the others
and buying a few spares parts now and again. *These machines are the
semi-vintage, three button (or switch), high-pressure water-pump type,
Saeco brand and similar. *They are not the new, expensive
microprocessor-controlled things you can't fix!
I want to stock up on thermostats... there are two in the machine on
the boiler. *One is for the sub-boiling point water (to pump through
the coffee) and the other for the subsequent steam generation (over
100 deg C.) *They look like standard small industrial types worth a
buck or two at most... so I don't want to buy them at the not-so-local
Saeco service centre for an "elevated resale price".
Questions:
What are the two temperatures settings for these? *(I'd guess at about
90 deg C and 105 deg C, respectively, based on the physics - but I'm
really not sure.)
Where might I get them in the Greater Toronto Area (Canada)? *Or by
mail order?
Thanks for all replies.
Merry Christmas!
Cheers,
Roger

I would start by taking a photo or two of the present thermostats and
posting them here so folks who are in the know could see them. *At the
very least, post some id's that you find on the thermostats. *Or, go
to the Saeco/mfgr and get parts info from them without actually buying
them. *The parts info would be a reasonable starting point for most
folks.

I've mislaid the one I took out and I don't really want to open up one
of the other machines... so no photo for now!
However, these are very common things, round, a bit like a thick
nickel with two spade connectors across a diameter.
I may call Saeco service but I'm not sure they would want to
cannibalize sales!
Cheers,
Roger