Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Dimmers & LEDs

wrote in message
I have a 150W bulb in my study with a dimmer. THe bulb slightly browns the
ceiling.

I am looking to putting in an LED but I keep seeing limitations
referring to "leading edge dimmers". What is this?

I don't trust halogens in my cluttered study.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

To be honest, I think I would live with the slight discolouring of the
ceiling. A guy that I do a lot of work for, has recently changed all of the
lighting in his retail shop, over to LEDs. These are not el cheapo Chinese
ones, but expensive branded ones. The light is very bright - so much so that
you can't actually look at them - but the quality of that light is dreadful.
He first did the area behind the counter a few weeks ago. As you walked into
the front of the shop, the area behind the counter looked like Santa's
grotto. The overall light was dim, and of a very cold colour, despite these
lamps supposedly being 'daylight'. When I pulled up outside the shop this
week, I honestly thought that they were closed. He had done the rest of the
shop, and now, it's like walking into a refrigerator. There are just two
'islands' of nice light left. One is the workshop area tucked away to one
side right at the back, where Tony the engineer has flatly refused to have
his linear flourescent removed, and the other is a display stand for some
Bosch products, located half way down the shop. It has a number of small
soft incandescent lamps in it. The owner is pleased about the reduction in
his electricity costs to run these lamps, but I can't help feeling that he
might just live to regret it, as what once appeared like a nice attractive
store interior when you looked through the front window, now looks dim and
uninviting.

So if you decide that you really want to do this, I would advise that you
research exactly what you are going to buy to replace your easily dimmable
light bulb, extremely carefully before doing it ...

Arfa