Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dimmers & LEDs

wrote:

I am looking to putting in an LED but I keep seeing limitations
referring to "leading edge dimmers". What is this?

Good grief!!! Don't you even know how to use Google!!! Here is the
first of 151,000 hits on 'leading edge dimmer'.
http://sound.westhost.com/lamps/dimmers.html

** Rod ( of ESP ) has been testing high efficiency lighting products for
some years now - beginning with my suggestion that the truth about CFLs was
begging to be published somewhere on the net.

What is abundantly clear is that with very few exceptions, the products
being offered to the public and industry are wholly incompatible with
standard AC circuit protection methods and dimming equipment long used with
incandescent lamps.

Egs

1. As little as 100 watts worth of CFLs or LED lights will regularly trip
breakers installed in lighting circuits designs to accept 2000 watts. The
tripping occurs at switch on due to unsuppressed surge spikes.

2. The same CFLs and LED lights cannot be successfully dimmed with common
triac dimmers as installed in millions of premises and WORSE STILL must
never be used in a circuit containing such a dimmer.

I doubt you will find this crucial information on any site other than ESP.

.... Phil