Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@att.net is offline

Default Potentiometer fix?

On Dec 15, 10:06*am, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Ian Field" wrote :

"~BD~" wrote in message
spamtrap1888 wrote:
The volume control of the cheapie Sony "transistor" AM FM radio I
bought about a year ago does not operate smoothly at low volumes.
Could I try spraying it with something, and if so, what do people
recommend?

Even if not cost-effective, I hate to throw things away. Further, it
has the best FM performance of any small radio I have ever had.

Have you tried 'working' it - turning it rapidly clockwise then
counter-clockwise (or rapidly up and down if a slider mechanism) -
for 20 seconds or so?

That should clear any dust which may be affecting its operation.

Another old trick of the trade is to rub the carbon track with the
point of a HB graphite pencil.

Apply lightly first & check the result - it can alter the audio curve
if over applied.

One trick I used to use was wrapping a single turn of insulated
stranded,flexible wire around the knob or shaft,and using the wire to see-
saw the pot back and forth,it's easier and faster than doing it with your
fingers.
kinda like the bow and stick method of fire-starting,if you know what I
mean.

tuner cleaner-lube spray usually works if you can get it into the pot.
On the Bourns mod-pots,I used to drill a small access hole for a syringe
needle I had fixed to the spray can's tube.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I just liberally dose the pot with after-shave lotion applied with an
eyedropper. May have to apply it where the 3 terminals come out the
side, or maybe down the actual shaft itelf. Works every time for
me. The alcohol apparently dissolves some of the dirt and grime and
things are fine for at least a year or two.