Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Potentiometer fix?

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
I still go with flushing it.

Someone said they'd seen ABS [sic] components of a pot destroyed. ABS is a
fairly stable plastic, so I doubt it was that. And this was the first I'd
ever heard of compounds specifically designed to clean pots damaging the
pot. It's not impossible -- just very unlikely.

Not unlikely at all! - most motorcycle helmets are ABS and carry dire
warnings not to paint, apply stickers or clean with *ANY* solvent.

Once I gave a VCR mode switch a blast of switch cleaner - in the time it
took to put the can back on the shelf, the cam wheel had literally turned
into a pile of granules in the bottom of the chassis.

After such an expensive mishap you soon learn to respect the danger.