Posted to uk.d-i-y
Moonraker[_2_] Moonraker[_2_] is offline

Default Radiator reflective foil

On 14/12/2011 15:21, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Moonraker
writes
Does it lose its effectiveness if emulsioned over? This one, though
expensive looks ideal, any experience here please?
http://www.greenstamp.co.uk/product_...roducts_id/268

I always thought that heat-reflecting foil went on the wall behind the
radiator. However, as this type is held in position with magnetic tape,
presumably it goes on the metal of the radiator itself.

As its wall-side surface is shiny, this should reduce the radiator's
radiation in the direction of the wall. As its radiator-side will also
be shiny, this will reflect heat back into the radiator.

As presumably it won't be seen, why would you even want to emulsion over
it?

As matter of principle, yes, anything which reduces the reflectivity of
a radiating (or an absorbing surface) will reduce its effectiveness in
radiating/absorbing heat. However, it could be argued that the thickness
of the paint reduces the heat conduction to/from a metal surface of the
paint.

Thanks for all the help, the general opinion is that the magnetic stuff
a rip off but it is worth using reflective foil, so I will send my
daughter to B&Q or Wickes for some, as it for her house!