Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Potentiometer fix?

"~BD~" wrote in message
spamtrap1888 wrote:
The volume control of the cheapie Sony "transistor" AM FM radio I
bought about a year ago does not operate smoothly at low volumes.
Could I try spraying it with something, and if so, what do people
recommend?

Even if not cost-effective, I hate to throw things away. Further, it
has the best FM performance of any small radio I have ever had.

Have you tried 'working' it - turning it rapidly clockwise then
counter-clockwise (or rapidly up and down if a slider mechanism) - for 20
seconds or so?

That should clear any dust which may be affecting its operation.

Another old trick of the trade is to rub the carbon track with the point of
a HB graphite pencil.

Apply lightly first & check the result - it can alter the audio curve if
over applied.