Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus19716 Ignoramus19716 is offline

Default Wow, this guy looks like Bush in a face shot and Schwarzeneggerin profile shot

On 2011-12-03, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus19716 fired this volley in
news
Things are very slow right now.

With the inventory you list (I hope a lot of it is "spec", and not in
your warehouse!), you should have a running business... a sale every
week! (bleh!)

THIS area is not an industrial one, and not much for HSMs, either. The
only local machinery dealer is presently going broke stocking a warehouse
full of pretty nice stuff, just waiting for buyers.

I hope your area is more full of people with an entrepeneurial spirit.
My quitting my job to go solo has drawn a lot of blank stares from my
peers.

LLoyd

Lloyd, I sell about 10 things per day. Most are pretty small, of
course. I would like to sell about 30 per day, but it proves
hard. Say, today I wasted almost my whole day on that skid steer story
(see another thread and my today's post).

I think that the business model of operating a local machinery
"storefront" is no longer viable. The "storefront" has 1/1000th of
buyers available to an internet store, more overhead, and cannot
compete with Internet based machinery buyers.

working for yourself. Knowing you, I am sure that you will do
fine. My own focus right now is on not doing anything stupid that
would ruin my business, this is consideration #1 and profit is
consideration #2. Expanding on the above, I put financial conservatism
above profit making, at the moment.