Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Flashing LED on old Quantum HDD PCB

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
In article ,
Windmill wrote:

Thank you for that. I had already backed up the drive (though I wish I
had also backed up all the partition tables, or done an image backup of
the entire drive) so I have the data.
If I can't find an explanation of the flash code, I'll try the rapping
technique.

An approach I find more effective in dealing with "stiction" problems
in older hard drives (and somewhat gentler on the drive):

- Set it down gently, flat, on a smooth table-top.

- Grasp it on both longer sides (i.e. across its short axis) with
one hand.

- Rotate it sharply, without lifting it from the table, by "snapping"
your wrist.

Often, the inertia of the platters will "break free" whatever is stuck
(head-to-platter or shaft-to-bearings).

I agree with others, though... a drive which has stictioned itself
once is probably not to be trusted. If you get get it to spin up,
make another set of backups immediately. If you want to keep using
it, leave it spinning... it may stick again if it's powered down for
some time.

Had a drive once I had to use longer cables and park it on the desk so I
could clout it with a screwdriver handle immediately after pressing the on
button.

Took a fair bit of skip raiding to find a replacement that started without
'help'.