Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Windmill[_3_] Windmill[_3_] is offline

Default Flashing LED on old Quantum HDD PCB

lid (Mike) writes:

In article ,
Windmill wrote:
There's a little green SMD LED on the PCB which is steadily lit at
first

"Spinning up, hold on ..."

but which then begins to flash repeatedly in a pattern
of 8 flashes - short pause - 10 flashes.

"Error."

Old drives did that, as they weren't SMART capable and had no way
of communicating any kind of detail as to the error. The "blink code"
will tell you exactly what's wrong, if you can just decode what it
means.

The drive may not be spinning up, or may not be achieving full/stable speed
quick enough.

I can hope that it's something fixable, if I can just find a table
which explains the code.
As I mentioned, I have a vague and probably unreliable memeory of
seeing flash codes in the distant past, when I first hooked up the
drive.

BTW it has done very well indeed. Running almost continually for _years_ .
Is there a code for "You've had your money's worth"? :-)

--
Windmill,
Use t m i l l