Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Windmill[_3_] Windmill[_3_] is offline

Default Flashing LED on old Quantum HDD PCB

Ken writes:

Windmill wrote:
I have an old 5.25" Quantum Bigfoot CY6.4 hard drive which I want to
use in an old PC.

Do you hear the disk spinning when power is applied to it? Many old
drives, particularly those that have been sitting for a while, fail to
spin due to the heads sticking to the disk surface. I believe the term
is stiction or something like that. If it is not spinning apply power
and tap the edge of the drive sharply against the palm of your hand.
Sometimes that will break the heads loose.

A drive not spinning will not be detected.

I think you're probably correct. Can't hear anything except some
ticking noises.

Odd that it would sit unused in a PC for many months, work when I
removed it and backed it up via a USB adaptor on another PC, sit for a
few more months, then fail when reinstalled in a different PC.

But that's been the way things have been going for me of late. A host
of trivial but time-wasting problems.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m