Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Septic alarm

On Dec 1, 10:25*pm, wrote:
On Dec 1, 10:40*pm, RBM wrote:

As far as the alarm part of the system goes, there should be a pair of
wires, or a two wire rubber cord going from the alarm box to the alarm
float in the pit. The problem is either a bad float, or a bad cord,
where the wires have shorted together internally, causing the alarm to
stay on. Depending upon how the wiring was installed, it could be a very
easy installation.

* Thanks for your reply. I agree with your assessment.
The question is though, would I be able to troubleshoot this myself?
I have a multi-meter and some electronics knowledge, but I'm not a
elec. wiz.
Granted this situation isn't rocket science. *

Is there a quick way to get to the core of this on my own?

*TIA

How accessible is the alarm float? If you totally remove power at the
house, and then cut the wires going to the float at a point where you
can replace the float, then you can cut the wires, make sure the ends
of the two conductors coming from the house are not touching each
other, then plug it in back at the house. The alarm should be off.
Assuming it is off, then the float alarm is defective and you should
replace it. If the alarm is still on when you repower it, with the
wires cut, then there is a defect/short in the wiring somewhere.
Sounds like you are reasonably capable, just need some reassurance.