Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default Fierce brake on bike

On 02/12/2011 01:32, Frank Erskine wrote:
On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 23:11:34 -0000, "DerbyBoy"No-one
wrote:

Grandson's bike has a rather fierce front brake which tends to throw him
over the handlebars when he uses it. How can I tame it?

Abouit 25% effort on the front; 75% on the rear is motorbike practice.
Obviously things might vary a bit for a non-motor cycle.

If you want to stop a normal bike (non-motor) in a hurry, the back brake
does nothing if you're doing it right. Unless you're really good in
which case you can use it to tell you when the bike is at tipping point.

Tandem is different - just haul on both brakes as hard as you can if
it's dry.

Get him to try and find an off-road place where he can legally play
about with using speed/braking/tipping-over-the-handlebars.

I agree with this. Actually, if it was here I'd get him to try it on the
road outside - grass is softer to fall on, but no grip this time of year.