Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Flashing LED on old Quantum HDD PCB

On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 10:54:41 GMT, lid
(Windmill) put finger to keyboard and composed:

I have an old 5.25" Quantum Bigfoot CY6.4 hard drive which I want to
use in an old PC.

There's a little green SMD LED on the PCB which is steadily lit at
first (and the BIOS displays its capacity, C/H/S, etc. so can obviously
read the drive) but which then begins to flash repeatedly in a pattern
of 8 flashes - short pause - 10 flashes.

Not sure if that could be something built into the firmware, or some
pattern of repeated access attempts by the kernel.

Does the same thing happen if you power up the drive without the
interface cable?

If you disconnect one of the RAM buffer pins, does the LED pattern
change? Doing so should result in a Sector Buffer Error (error code
03h).

- Franc Zabkar