Posted to uk.d-i-y
larkim larkim is offline

Default Converting a wired to a wireless doorbell

On Nov 21, 11:25*am, chris French
wrote:
In message
, NT
writes

On Nov 20, 7:49*pm, larkim wrote:

I'm trying to remove surface mounted wires in the hall (1905 single
skin brick built house, limited trunking opportunities available,
don't ask!) so the wired doorbell is coming out.

However, SWMBO likes the very loud traditional ringer that the
existing one has. *It is powered from a transformer which outputs 8V /
1A. *Is there likely to be any product which would allow me to convert
the existing bell into a wireless doorbell system?

not afaik

I'm thinking it can't be that hard to convert a wireless doorbell into
some sort of remote controlled relay.

A quick search turned up this, as the first obvious result:

http://www.hackersbench.com/Projects/ding-dong/main.html
--
Chris French

Cheers. I'm thinking that the answer might be just to buy a new one
that just works loud enough! I wired up a 9V battery to the bell last
night and that works (unsurprisingly!), but for £20 or so it seems you
can pick up wireless doorbells from B&Q, so I'll go and test out their
display today and see where I get to (or rather, whether SWMBO is
happy. At least I can do side by side comparisons - "can you hear
this one, how about this one" by using the 9V battery.

Matt