Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] greenpjs@neo.rr.com is offline

Default Useful Resource ...

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 09:59:01 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

"spamtrap1888" wrote in message
On Nov 17, 3:45 am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Picky point...
Chili is the dish. Chiles are the peppers. There's an episode of "Good

Eats"
that carefully (and repeatedly) makes the distinction.

I'm trying to bridge the Atlantic here. Further, "Good Eats" doesn't
know what they're talking about.

In the US, the usage I gave is correct. Chili (sometimes called chili con
carne) is the dish, a kind of beef stew, and the chile is the pepper. What
caused this divergence, I don't know.

Huh? Yes, chili is a stew made with chili peppers. Often, it
includes meat as in chili con carne (literally translated from Spanish
as chili with meat). Chile is a country in South America.

Alternate spellings of the pepper are chilli and chile, but in the US,
the pepper and the stew are *normally* spelled the same way in spite
of what "Good Eats" said.