Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default home-brew Freon TF substitutes?

In article ,
Cydrome Leader wrote:

Methylene chloride is definitely not for electronic components.
It is used a paint stripper. I am sure it would require rinsing
off quickly with another solvent, otherwise your PCB would be
fuggered.

Burns like hell if it gets on your skin, too.

The sadly-missed chloro/fluoro-carbon cleaners would not damage the useful
stuff like plastics, rubber, lacquer, metal, paper et ecetera.

plus they didn't leave condensation- not really sure how they evporated
and took the water with them.

I'd guess that they had a low heat of vaporization... they didn't have
to "steal" much energy per volume in order to evaporate. This would
minimize the degree to which the surface is cooled, and thus reduce
the chance of dropping it to the dew point and causing condensation.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO