Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default practical lubricity

On 11/14/2011 03:56 AM, N_Cook wrote:
William wrote in message
The car holder for my GPS navigation system uses a ball-and-socket joint.

It
holds the unit without any slipping -- but no matter how much I fuss with
it, I can never get it into exactly the position I want. There's simply

too
much friction, both static and moving.

I've tried silicone spray lube, but it doesn't do much good. I've thought

of
lithium grease, but... Nah.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

I would try locksmith's dry lubricant - ground graphite or talcum powder ,
at least no solvents going to attack the plastic

The old slide rule trick is to loosen with graphite and tighten with
chalk dust.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--