Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeffrey Angus[_2_] Jeffrey Angus[_2_] is offline

Default Re-winding solenoids.

On 11/13/2011 6:19 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 15:08:29 -0600, Jeffrey
wrote:

And yes, the coil heats up. It's trying to dissipate
1440 watts. (240 VAC @ 6 amps)

You might want to add a thermal fuse in series with the coil. It the
contactor gets stuck in the energized position, you might have a fire.

There is that. See below...

The contacts on the transfer switch disconnect the
solenoid coil from power as soon as it starts to move.
Inertia carries it through the sequence.

That happens it the actuator gets stuck or if the energizing voltage
is unusually low? Duz it stick in the "on" state?

Worrying about the widows and orphans this might harm...

See, now this is where everyone got upset over nothing.

This whole exercise was to see _IF_ I could correctly wind a
replacement solenoid for 240 V rather than the original 480 V.

Now that I've satisfied my curiosity, I'm going to sell it in
it's original format (480 v 3-phase) as THAT is where it's value
lies.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"