Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray Carlsen[_2_] Ray Carlsen[_2_] is offline

Default PS3: red LED flashes

This may have been discussed here before but I'm retired now and don't
drop in here often. My son's 4 year old Playstation 3 has suddenly died.
Powerup shows the green LED, then yellow followed quickly by 3 beeps and
the red LED flashing. The PS checks good (caps ESR OK and O'scope
clean). Searching the net, I found a few people heating up the main
processor and another big IC near it with a heat gun, supposedly to
reflow solder connections under those chips. I tried that, no go. Does
anyone here know the strait dope on those game units... why all of them
eventually puke that way and perhaps a more reliable fix? Supposedly
Sony will repair one for $150 out of warranty but is as likely to swap
it out. They obviously know what's happening to their units but want to
sell new rather than repair old. Are the new ones any better?

Ray Carlsen
Carlsen Electronics... a leader in trailing-edge technology