Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Schwartz[_2_] Tim Schwartz[_2_] is offline

Default Interesting Find - Tech Spray Blue Stuff

On 11/12/2011 7:53 PM, Chris F. wrote:
I recently bought a bunch of stuff from another closed-out repair shop,
and came across a rather interesting find. It's a very old can of Tech Spray
Blue Stuff, it's nearly full and still works. I remembered that 30+ years
ago (a bit before my time), many tuner sprays contained freon - some Zenith
tuners actually had stickers specifying it's exclusive use. Curious, I
sprayed a bit on my finger and found it extremely cold. Could this be a
(presumably rare) freon-based product of long ago? And is it something I
could actually use, on vintage TV tuners? And would it have any value to
collectors?

As I recall, "Blue Stuff" was a spray abrasive in a can. It was like a
silver polish for the contacts, and will work well on SOME types of
switches that are heavily corroded. You would NOT want to use it in
posts, as you might polish the carbon track free of carbon. It was a
product of last resort when gentler cleaning methods were not enough.

Freon is not magical stuff. It did work well, but went away because of
environmental concerns. I'm not sure that some of the 'freon
substitutes' aren't nearly as bad.

Current cleaners also will make you finger feel cold when sprayed.

Regards,
Tim
Bristol Electronics