Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Thoughts on this little oddity, anyone ...?

That reminds me- does anybody unnderstood what Carver's "power steering"
was supposed to be or mean in their amps?

Probably refers to "rail-switching" where higher voltage power supply
rails are switched in on demand. (during musical peaks).

Has several advantages including being able to get away with a smaller
power transformer and smaller heat sinks. Reduces power dissipation at
idle and at low power.

It's said that such amps can sound nasty - not sure I've ever noticed
that.

Mark Z.

The Carver PM1.5 had both the triac and inadequate transformer, and rail
switching. High rail was + and - 125v IIRC.

Gareth.