Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

Default Thoughts on this little oddity, anyone ...?

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Mark Zacharias wrote in message
.com...
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
Had an Allen & Heath PA20-CP 2 x 500 watt powered mixer in today. Has

two
completely separate and identical power amps, one of which was running
very hot very quickly. No schematics, but problem was quickly traced to

an
open circuit resistor, by comparison ohms checks between the two amps.

In
order to replace the resistor, it was necessary to remove the offending
("B") power amp to get to the board underside. The power rails and

ribbon
from the mixer desk section were on removable connectors, but the 4
pole
speakon connector was bolted to the rear panel and the wires were

soldered
directly to the board. When I came to unsolder these wires from the
socket, I noticed that the "B" channel one was wired the opposite way
round to the "A" channel one. I noted this down to check on later.

When the amp was tested ok, I bolted it back in, and reconnected the
speakon socket the same as it was when I unsoldered it. The wires lay
exactly where they originally were, and looked absolutely
factory-original, even down to the one which went to the uppermost
connector tag, having a rubber sleeve on it, exactly the same as on the
"A" channel. Except the two channels were definitely wired

arse-about-face
to one another. On both channels' speakons, the "1-" and "2-" pins were
linked, as were "1+" and "2+". But on channel "A" the ground wire was
connected to the "+" pair, and on the "B" channel, the ground was on
the
"-" pair.

I fired it up again, and put a sine wave in, then hooked up two
channels
of my 'scope, one to the "A" output and one to the "B", both with the

same
polarity, and was surprised to find that the two signals were
completely
anti-phase, which meant that with the reversed connections to the

speakon
sockets, they would be back in phase again to the outside world.

I then went back to the power amps' front ends near where the ribbon
connector was, and found the same thing. At the same point on each amp,
the signals were in opposite phase to one another. I then spotted three
little 3 pin header blocks, with one pin pair on each designated "B",

and
the other pair "A" and a little 1 or maybe an I next to the "A" in a

sort
of 'to the power of' position. On the B amp, these three jumpers were

set
to "B", and on the A amp they were set to "A", so clearly, these
jumpers
reverse the phase of the signal coming in from the desk section. The
two
amps then process the signals in antiphase to one another right to the
final output, where the 'correct' phase relationship is again restored,

by
wiring the speakon connector 'wrongly'.

I have puzzled over this, and can think of no good reason for doing it
that way. I did wonder at one point if it was anything to do with being
able to make the amps bridgeable, but I downloaded a copy of the user
manual, and there is a dire warning paragraph towards the end,
specifically saying that under no circumstances should any attempt be

made
to operate the amps in bridge. It also warns against making any
connections between the two amps or any speakers connected to them,
although in actual fact, the 'ground' side of each output is truly

ground,
and is common to both amps, the whole (dual) power supply, and all
metalwork.

What am I missing here ? Not of any real consequence, as the unit is
mended and back in its original condition, but for academic interest,
it
would be good to understand the designer's thinking.

Arfa

Carver has also done this on some models. Not so good when someone tries

demonstrate through a common grounded speaker switcher...

Mark Z.

Someone last week asked my advice on bridging high power amps. My advise
was
don't - bridge inputs if you must, thinking that any fault tends to lead
spectacular failure all round, I'd forgotton about this ,antiphase,
reason
for not bridging

Such amps are naturally adaptable for bridging.

Mark Z.