Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default 12.1 inch = 13 inches for LCD display?

Tim wrote in
:

In article 76dc15cb-973e-4a9d-9d1a-
, says...
On Nov 7, 1:49*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
wrote
innews:0amfb7pppna4aouqhl82oouij3lidv2f33@4ax

.com:

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 12:33:02 -0000, "N_Cook"
wrote

:

12.1 inch diagonal, from corner to corner of the overlying mask,
but that would be called 13 inches wouldn't it. No way it would
be called a 12 inch model ?

For a while, they were all being honest about LCD sizes. *Lately,

he
word "class" has been used - as in "22 inch class TV" - so they
are back to their old games.

now we also have to deal with extrawide screens.
not only 16:9 "hi-def",but greater ratios.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

So, if you want a screen size that is vertically the same as a tv you
are replacing, you have to buy a larger size, if you are not smart
or alert enough to figure this out, and buy a tv with the same
diagonal measurement as your old tv set, the picture will be
noticeably smaller in the vertical direction and that much harder to
see.

Just look at how much of the HD pic you see on a standard TV. You'll
soon figure out those black bands top and bottom take out a chunk of
size. I figured I will get the same picture size as my 27-28" SD TV
with a 32" High Def one, even with the reduced height, because it is
already being reduced by the broadcaster.

- Tim -

I don't like the flat panel TVs,because EVERY one I've seen,in stores and
sports bars,have improper geometry;
a circle looks oval,and peoples heads look flattened. the vertical was
being compressed.
it didn't matter what aspect ratio was being displayed.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik