Posted to sci.electronics.repair
larry moe 'n curly larry moe 'n curly is offline

Default caps for mobo

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

ESR is not even spec'd. The Nichicon is a couple of ohms.
Any idea what the FM spec is?

I think a couple of ohms would be roughly 100x higher than normal,
unless the cap is small, like 10uF. For 1,000uF @ 10V, ESR is
probably around 0.02 ohm.

BadCaps.net has this thread about recommended cap brands and models:

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

Another thread linked to a big database of caps (278MB download):

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|850l33|4015592669|Datasheets.rar|278316 |R~28C904B8B6B913951D42F625FB45AB2C|0|0

I'm no expert, but I think for most caps on motherboards and video
cards, Panasonic FJ would be preferred to FM, but it seems FJ isn't
normally sold in the US, except from the only Ebay seller that doesn't
seem to sell counterfeit caps:

http://stores.ebay.com/PC-MotherBoard-Capacitors-Store

However they sell both good and bad brands. Prices aren't the lowest,
but shipping is cheap, so for small orders they can be the best
choice. Digi-Key shipping is also cheap for 8 oz. or less, about
$2.50.

In addition to Mouser, BadCaps.net, and Digi-Key, there's BDent.com,
which has mostly Sanyo (now labelled Suncon) but some Nichicon.

A friend of mine buys mostly Nichicon HN series, and apparently the
only better wet electrolytics for switching power supplies are
Nichicon HZ, which BadCaps may now be offering for the same price as
HN. I've been using mostly Sanyo WG, which are supposed to be between
Nichicon HN and HM in characteristics. The experts at BadCaps.net
generally recommend Japanese brands but warn against using United
Chemicon/Nippon Chemicon models KZG and KZJ (they say KZE is good),
and they don't like Toshin Kogyo (marked "TK"). I believe the only
non-Japanese or non-American caps they like are Samxon and Jamicon,
and Samxon is sometimes the only quality maker of certain narrow
diameter caps.