Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default hollow wall anchor setting tool

Hi,

In the past, I have always tightened hollow wall anchors like these:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre.../sd1930/p53569
using a screwdriver, without troubles.

Today when I did this, I had one anchor spin in the wall and erode
away the plaster, presumably weakening the fixing. It didn't help that
I then over tightened it, pulling even further into the wall!

I have seen fixing tools like this:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre.../sd1930/p96740

and always thought (wrongly) that when you pull the handle, it must
turn the bolt. I have done some googling and it would appear that
actually they just pull the bolt without rotating it.

Are these a case of you get what you pay for? Should I buy a dearer
brand (if so, which?) or are these cheapies at Toolstation and Amazon
as good as any other?

I just wondered what you had used these anchors to hold? I found
examples on the web of people holding radiators with them and wash
basins. I would have thought these were best into noggins. Surely
something as heavy as a full radiator would be pulled off?

TIA
Fred