Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default caps for mobo

wrote:

On Nov 4, 2:05 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Of all the types of electrolytics at Digikey or Mouser, which do

you favor
for replacement of bulging mobo caps?

Digikey, Panasonic FM series is what I use.

FMs are good but sometimes not a size match. The Nichicon HM, HN ans
HZ series are even lower ESR than the FMs and are available in those
tall/skinny packages. Mouser carries a lot.

I haven't run into a board where the FM didn't fit.

You want the lowest ESR and highest ripple current to reduce internal
heating of the cap to get longest life. My Gigabyte boards use organic
polymer caps that are sometimes an order of magnitude lower ESR.
Pricey but about as good as they get.

What I'm repairing isn't worth the extra expense. I no longer repair
$80,000 Telemetry receivers.