Don Sannella

Default multiple simultaneous washing machine problems

My washing machine (Siemens Siwamat 2105, about 5 years old,
fairly standard type of machine I think) has suddenly
developed a number of problems. Surely this is not several
components failing at once.

The first problem I noticed was serious overheating on a
90 degree wash, so much so that the plastic drawer where the
detergent goes in is now warped.

On the next attempt to wash (at 30 degrees) there were the
following problems:
a. Water level seems very high.
b. Cold water input and drain pump are switching on/off
repeatedly in very quick succession, as if they are
fighting with each other.
c. Glass on front of machine feels rather hotter than 30
degrees - but that might be my imagination
d. The machine doesn't switch off at the end of the
programme; it just continues on to the next one.
Some experimentation suggests that (b) is caused by (a): on
the next wash, I shut off the values on the input pipes when
the water reached a normal level, and (b) didn't happen.

There must be a further connection between these problems.
My guess is that it is one of the following:
1. The overheating, perhaps caused by a faulty thermostat,
caused something else to break, maybe several things.
But what?
2. Some single fault (with the timer? or maybe the pressure
system?) is causing all these symptoms.
What does the panel recommend? Obviously I don't want to
just replace everything in sight if there is a single cause.
BTW I don't see any loose or burnt wires, at least none
are visible when I take off the top of the machine.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Don Sannella
Univ. of Edinburgh

P.S. I am in a very soft water area, in case that is relevant.