Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Stihl Chainsaw running too fast

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 02:34:04 -0600, wrote:

It's an older saw I bought at a garage sale. Runs well, except it
runs way too fast. There is no idle when I release the trigger.
However, if I push downward on the trigger button, it slows down to

I don't know which direction is "downward" but if it's the opposite
direction of "cut harder", it might be a spring. either in the handle
or on the engine. It might be broken or unhooked from whatever it
hooks to.

idle. In other words, the problem is in the trigger itself, not a
carb adjustment screw.

My question is what is causing the trigger to not slow down. It's in
the handle, so I'm not sure how to even get to it. When I remove the
top air cleaner cover, I can see the rod that goes to the carb from
the trigger, and when I apply downward pressure on the trigger that
rod is pulled back and the saw slows.

Is this a common problem on these saws? How do I fix it?

Thanks